Sunday 22 September 2013

Has anyone ever heard of a Hussif?

I hadn't until I was chatting to follower Ken a week or two ago.  I thought I knew what he was talking about until Monday when I treated myself to a copy of the Merchant & Mills SEWING BOOK.  When I saw a photograph of their project Hussif I realised the picture I had in my head was well off beam.  It turns out that a Hussif is a pocket sewing kit with some whimsical etymology thrown in for good measure.

I am rather taken by the Merchant & Mills SEWING BOOK.  It's an aesthetically pleasing object in its own right and the projects inside are, for the main part, non-gender-specific which makes a welcome change for the male seamster.

As a confirmed old bachelor with some heavy unbleached calico on his hands I figured that a Hussif is the nearest I am likely to get to a housewife and resolved to knock one up [perhaps I should rephrase that!?]

Here are some pictures of my version

Pocket Sewing Kit - open

There are seven pockets for bits and bobs sewing notions.  I made mine the same size as the instructions but the book encourages makers to adjust pocket sizes to fit the objects in their own sewing kit.  The striped ticking covers two layers of cotton quilt wadding which form a pin cushion cum needle case.

Pocket Sewing Kit - closed

Here is the Hussif all furled up and tied shut.  To give you an idea of size the cotton webbing tape is 25mm (yes I've gone metric today) or one inch wide.  I may trim the tape down a bit once things have stretched out a bit.

The first of two big adventures in making this project was printing the downloadable Merchant and Mills graphic onto what can only be described as magic paper and then transferring this to the front of the Hussif using the iron.


I think I may have overcooked the transfer slightly and the instructions on where to position it were not Gavin-proof (I may have got the graphic upside down) but overall I am pleased with the effect.  I am left with some mixed feelings about putting a company logo onto an item I have made but I like the look of the finished project and I have tried out something I never would have done otherwise.  My mind is now teaming with ideas for some kind of Oil & Thread transfer.  Possibly featuring a hen if I can find copyright free image to use.

Adventure number two is a Singer 401G related discovery and one for the seam guide junkies amongst us (you know who you are).  I have discovered that the toe of the general purposes foot can be made to sit under the seam guide.  This is shown in the section of the Manual which shows how to blind stitch hems using the "BO" setting.  I realised that, with the needle centred (red lever at position 3), this gives scant ⅛ seam allowance.

Singer slant shank general purpose food and seam guide
Singer 401G: General purpose foot and seam guide

When would want a scant ⅛ seam allowance?  Well I found it handy when edge stitching the Hussif.  I hope you agree that the results are pretty tasty.


I am planning to hold on to this particular Hussif myself.  I have something in mind for it.  I really enjoyed putting this together.  It's a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.  At this point in September I am thinking that one or two of these, filled with some 'heritage' style notions might make good Christmas presents.

11 comments:

  1. Loved the idea and have been looking for something similar! Thank you. The scant 1/8" looks lovely and I'll have to see if my seam guide does the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Li
      I'm glad you like the hussif. I hope you have a go at making one. I'd be pleased to hear how you get on with your seam guide.
      Hugs
      G

      Delete
  2. Hello Gavin,

    I remember my dad talking about having a hussif when he was in the army, but I had clean forgotten what it was. I can guarantee he avoided using it at all costs. Anyway, you can use an offcut as a four by two, ie a piece of cloth to pull through your gun barrel to clean it - that's the bit of kit I could remember.

    Nice job, Gavin, and I'm looking forward to the hen. What about doing your next hussif in Henderson tartan? Shame there isn't a better picture of this one.
    http://www.westhighlandmuseum.org.uk/collections/highland-life/hussif/
    But don't bother with the magic charm. Totally useless.

    Well done SGJunkie. That is a great dodge.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muv
      So I guess you didn't inherit your sewing skills from your father then. Interesting memory though - thank you for sharing.
      I love a bit of Henderson tartan but alas it does not come cheap. I was once quoted (gulp) £600 for a kilt made of Henderson ancient. Needless to say it remained a quote. Thanks for posting the link that's an interesting story but a rubbish picture.
      Hugs
      G

      Delete
  3. Excellent post Gavin! Every time I visit your blog I learn a new "trick of the trade". Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe
      Thanks for stopping by and for becoming a follower - I have been enjoying catching up on your blog too!
      Hugs
      G

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of a hussif. It looks handy. Really nice job on the edge stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was something (a little wallet) where soldiers kept a needle and thread, thimble maybe, in days gone by. Short for housewife...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice hussif ( didn't have a clue what that was prior to reading this post) ! Love the tip on the 401 and the edgestitching. I have a 401 A in the vintage herd so this will be handy to know for that machine. I really like the printed out label you used on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First thing that came to mind when I saw the word hussif was that it was something Arabic. An Arabic kitchen utensil or something culinary.
    Anyway, it's very pretty. and the edge stitching is lovely.
    My Mum made me something similar for my bobbins. She and I used to meet once a week to do bobbin lace. Fond memories.

    hugs,

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd not heard of a Hussif prior to reading your post, and never of Merchant & Mills. The book's on my wish list and hussif on the mountainous 'to do' list!

    I'm very impressed with the neatness of your seams, very impressed in fact. I think I'd probably benefit from using guides much more frequently, especially on my old hand-crank machine.

    Glad to have found your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete